What is the Richmond Antique Tool Society?
The Richmond Antique Tool Society (RATS) is a non-profit organization serving to promote knowledge of and interest in collecting, making and using antique tools. RATS provides a gathering place where members and guests can gain knowledge and understanding about tools and trades from the past and also buy, sell and trade old tools.
RATS is an antique tool organization that is located in Mechanicsville, Virginia. Our meetings are usually held at the Church of the Redeemer,8275 Meadowbridge Rd, Mechanicsville, VA 23116.
The Richmond Antique Tool Society (RATS) holds six meetings per year. Regular meetings are usually scheduled for a Thursday or Friday evening starting at 5:00 p.m., and include tool sales, a general meeting, a themed presentation, and a small auction.
Membership in RATS costs only $10 per year (for new members) and includes attendance and participation in all RATS meetings, auctions and the Winter Gathering. Your membership dues help cover the cost of our meeting space rentals, refreshments and snacks at all meetings, the web hosting fees for the RATS website, and other ancillary costs associated with advertising and operating the club.
RATS serves members from central and southern Virginia including the cities of Mechanicsville, Richmond, Charlottesville, Norfolk, VA Beach, Fredericksburg and Williamsburg.
Why Should You Join the Richmond Antique Tools Society?
Joining an antique woodworking tool organization like RATS can offer several benefits for woodworkers who are interested in the history and use of antique tools, including:
- Learning Opportunities: RATS often offer workshops, classes, and demonstrations on the use, maintenance, and restoration of antique tools. These learning opportunities can help you develop new skills and techniques, and can also inspire you to try new projects or approaches to woodworking.
- Access to Resources: Members often have access to resources, such as books, magazines, and online forums, that can help you learn more about antique tools and their history.
- Networking: Joining RATS can provide an opportunity to meet and connect with other collectors and enthusiasts who share your passion for antique tools. You can exchange ideas, techniques, and experiences with others who are also interested in antique tools, which can be inspiring and motivating.
- Preservation of History: By joining RATS, you can be a part of the effort to preserve and promote the history of woodworking tools. You can learn about the history and development of different types of tools, and help educate others about their importance and value.
- Collecting and Trading: Many RATS members are collectors and traders of antique tools. By joining our society, you can gain access to a network of collectors and traders who can help you find, evaluate, and trade antique tools.